RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR ACTON CONSERVATION LAND
This version of the rules and regulations was approved by the Acton Conservation Commission in May of 2015. A shorter and simpler version of these rules can be found here
Massachusetts General Law Chapter 40, Section 8C vests the authority to promulgate rules and regulations for Conservation Lands with the Conservation Commission, which may delegate the administration and enforcement of those rules and regulations to Town Staff. Non-criminal Jurisdiction for these offenses was approved as Article 29 of the 1993 Annual Town Meeting.
THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO ALL LANDS UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THE CONSERVATION COMMISSION:
- Hours of use are from one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset.
- No motor vehicles or tools are allowed except as authorized by the Conservation Commission or its agent.
- Hunting and trapping are prohibited without written permission from the Board of Selectmen and Conservation Commission. (Note: Trapping may also need approval from the Board of Health.)
- Alcohol is prohibited.
- Fires, including grills, are prohibited, except as may be allowed by the Fire Chief in connection with overnight camping (See # 10 below).
- Constructing, placing, or installing a blind, tree stand, or other feature that could facilitate hunting is prohibited without prior written permission from the Board of Selectman and the Conservation Commission. Features so installed without written permission are subject to immediate confiscation and destruction by the Town Manager or his designee.
- No person shall cut, break, remove, move, deface, defile, or ill-use any structure, fence, or sign, or have possession of any part thereof.
- No trees, bushes, plants, or flowers shall be cut or defaced without written permission from the Conservation Commission or its agent.
- No person shall engage in business, sell or offer for sale, or distribute any goods, wares or brochures without prior written permission of the Board of Selectman and the Conservation Commission.
- Overnight camping is permitted at Camp Acton only with a permit obtained from the Acton Recreation Department and payment of fees. Prior to fire usage, all registrants are required to contact the Acton Police and Fire Departments to obtain consent. Other rules apply and are specified in the camping permit. Children under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- No structure of any kind, such as a bridge, tower, building, lean to, or tent platform may be constructed without prior written permission of the Conservation Commission or its agent.
- No trails or dams may be marked or constructed without prior written permission of the Conservation Commission or its agent.
- Dogs must be controlled at all times to avoid inconvenience or nuisance to others. Dog waste must be removed at the Arboretum and the Great Hill recreation field and on trails on all other conservation land.
- Private property left unattended for three days will be presumed to be abandoned and may be confiscated and disposed of at the discretion of the Town Manager or Town Managerâ€™s designee.
- Possession of firearms or archery equipment, except by police officers or other public officials in pursuit of their official duties, or as authorized in writing by the Town Manager or designee, is prohibited.
- Disposal of trash, debris, litter or other materials, either natural or manmade is prohibited.
- Except for Great Hill recreation field, organized league games are prohibited without written permission from the Conservation Commission or its agent.
Violations of these Rules and Regulations may be enforced by the Police Chief, Police Officer, Conservation Administrator, or other agent allowed by law.
Violations of these Rules and Regulations shall be subject to a fine of $100.00 per violation. Each day of a continuing violation will be deemed to be a separate violation.
APPROVED BY THE ACTON CONSERVATION COMMISSION, 05/2015